We’re highlighting Meatless Mondays to kick off the New Year, courtesy of dietitian Brittyn Coleman. Check out the previous installments of the Sesame Buddha Bowl and Lentil Soup + Quinoa & Veggies, then check out this week’s recipe for plant-based meal inspo: Veggie Tempeh Bowl (or Nachos!).
BASE + TOPPINGS
- 1.5 cups Brandless cashews, soaked (overnight in cool water or in boiling water for 30 minutes)
- ½ cup hot water
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- ½ packet Brandless taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- For spiciness, add 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, ½ tsp cayenne, a splash of hot sauce, or jalepeños, according to your taste!
TEMPEH TACO MEAT
- 1 block tempeh
- ½ packet Brandless Taco Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons water
- Rinse cashews thoroughly with cold water and place in a bowl. If soaking cashews overnight, cover cashews with enough cool water to cover. If quick soaking, boil water and pour over cashews to cover. Place a lid or plate on top of the bowl to retain heat.
- While cashews are soaking, start to prepare tempeh taco meat. Lightly spray a medium pan with avocado or vegetable oil. Use your hands to crumble tempeh into the pan over medium heat. In a small bowl, pour out ½ packet of taco seasoning and mix with 2-3 tbsp water (should be a thin paste). Set aside.
- Heat tempeh thoroughly and then pour in the taco seasoning sauce and mix thoroughly. Cook for 1-2 more minutes and set aside. Heat black beans over the stove in a small pot or in the microwave.
- Begin to prepare your plate with: ½ cup quinoa (or 12 corn chips) ½ cup black beans ¼ cup of the tempeh taco meat (1/4 block) 1 cup spinach (raw or sauteéd)
- Drain cashews and place in blender with the rest of the cashew queso ingredients and blend on high for 1-2 minutes. If using a Vitamix, you can place it on the “hot soup” setting to get it piping hot!
- Drizzle cashew queso over your prepared plate and top with pineapple salsa and avocado. Enjoy!