These Frankenstein blondies are a Halloween hit, courtesy of lana_bakes. The blondies themselves are perfectly sweet and chewy and pair nicely with the vanilla buttercream. The Frankenstein faces are easy to create and look adorable as part of a Halloween party spread.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup organic light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup organic unbleached wheat flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened to room temperature)
- 1 ½ cups of powdered sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Green food coloring
- 1 black gel writer
- Eyeball sprinkles (if you can’t find eyeball sprinkles, white chocolate chips are a great substitution)
- Double chocolate cookie thins
- Heat your oven to 350 F and line an 8x8 baking pan with Brandless parchment paper.
- To bake the blondies: Melt your butter in a saucepan over low heat on the stove. Stir regularly and make sure that the butter does not start to bubble. Once melted, pour the butter into a large mixing bowl and using a large wooden spoon, stir in both the brown and white sugars.
- Stir in the egg, vanilla extract, and salt. Once those are mixed in, slowly add in your flour and mix until it’s just incorporated.
- Pour your blondie batter into your prepared pan and bake in the oven for 22-26 minutes. You will know it’s done when the edges are slightly browned and a skewer or knife inserted in the center of the blondies comes out clean with no batter on it. Set them aside and let them cool before decorating.
- To make the buttercream: Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until it’s smooth and creamy. Slowly add in the powdered sugar and beat on high until the buttercream looks light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and salt and beat for another minute on high speed. Turn the mixer to low and slowly add your green food coloring until the buttercream reaches your desired Frankenstein color.
- To decorate: Once cool, cover your blondies with an even layer of your green buttercream. Cut the blondies into 12 rectangles and arrange them vertically.
- Using your black gel writer, draw on a black rectangular box on the top of each blondie. Crumble up some of your chocolate cookies and sprinkle them over the black rectangle.
- Gently press two eyeball sprinkles into each blondie. If you can’t track down eyeball sprinkles, you can use white chocolate chips instead. Press the chocolate chips into the blondies so that the bottom flat side is facing up, and using your black gel writer, dab each chip with a small black dot for the eyeball.
- Using your black gel writer, draw on a squiggly mouth underneath the eyes.
- Sit back and admire how cute your Frankenstein blondies are!