Use gluten free pancake and waffle mix to make these fluffy and savory pumpkin sage biscuits! Fancy them up for your next holiday gathering with homemade cranberry sauce, spicy mustard, crispy prosciutto and arugula, or serve them warm with a little butter and/or maple syrup.
- 6 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon Brandless organic apple cider vinegar
- 2 ½ cups Brandless gluten free pancake and waffle mix*, plus more for dusting
- ½ cup Brandless almond meal**
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ tsp Brandless organic thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- Brandless organic stone ground mustard
- Store-bought or homemade Cranberry Sauce* see recipe below
Homemade Cranberry Sauce:
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen cranberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons Brandless organic coconut sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, almond milk, and apple cider vinegar until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix Brandless flours, baking powder, baking soda, ground thyme, fresh sage, and salt.
- Add the cold butter. Using your hands, smear the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Slowly add the pumpkin-almond milk mixture, stirring with a fork, until almost incorporated.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead the dough to bring it together. Carefully roll out the dough into a 1-inch thick circle. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter or small glass, cut about 12 biscuits, re-rolling any scraps. Place on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake the biscuits for 10-12 minutes, until golden. Cool slightly.
- To Serve: Cut the pumpkin biscuits in half. Spread a dollop of the mustard and a spoonful of cranberry sauce on one biscuit half. Top with one slice of prosciutto and a few arugula leaves. Top with the other biscuit half. Repeat with remaining biscuits.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cranberries, Brandless coconut sugar, and orange zest and juice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until the cranberries have mostly burst and the sauce thickens, 10 minutes.
*One package gluten free pancake/waffle mix yields 1 ½ cups
**Brandless almond meal: Add 1 package of Brandless raw almonds to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely ground and almonds have reached a flour-like consistency, 1 to 2 minutes.