Whether you’re in love or just love cupcakes, this Valentine’s Day treat is for you. Based off the classic Red Velvet Cupcake, I wanted to make something that screamed love, and what better combo than Pink and Chocolate?! The frosting gets its amazing color from the addition of beet juice. It’s only sweetened with stevia and is made with a base of Tofutti® and coconut yogurt. Throw in a little vanilla and you have a deliciously creamy and decadent frosting to slather on top of your cupcakes.
- 1/4 cup coconut yogurt
- 3/4 cup Brandless coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup Brandless coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup plant based milk (coconut or hemp for nut free or almond, cashew)
- 2 tablespoons beet juice (see notes on how to make)
- 1 1/3 cup gluten free baking flour
- 1 tablespoon Brandless coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Brandless apple cider vinegar
- Dash Brandless sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric beater, beat together your coconut yogurt and coconut sugar until creamy.
- Add in the eggs, beat until incorporated.
- Follow with the melted coconut oil and beet juice (or coffee if using), beat until smooth and slightly foamy.
- In a separate bowl add your milk, apple cider vinegar and baking soda. Stir well and set aside to activate.
- In another separate bowl mix together all your dry ingredients (GF flour, coconut flour, salt, baking powder and cacao).
- Add all your wet ingredients to the dry, mix until fully incorporated and you have a smooth batter.
- Fill your muffin tins with the liners. Using a measuring cup (1/4 cup works well) spoon batter into each muffin cup, filling only 1/2 - 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean when inserted. Let them completely cool while you make your frosting.
- In a medium bowl add together the cream cheese and yogurt. Using an electric beater, beat until smooth.
- Add your stevia, beet juice and vanilla. Beat until fully incorporated, then transfer to a piping bag with a nozzle already inserted.
- Set aside to pipe onto your cupcakes once they've cooled completely. Serve and Enjoy! Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
- **Beet Juice: To make beet juice, simply peel and cut up 2 beets. Place in a small saucepan with 1/4-1/3 cup water. Cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes. Eat the beets for lunch and save the juice for baking.