In 2018, the top two New Year’s Resolutions were to eat healthier and to exercise more. The interest in health and wellness has been trending up in recent years, and unfortunately, so is the rate of obesity and chronic disease. The prevalence of obesity in 2015-2016 was nearly 40% in the United States. Diet and exercise are the two most important variables when trying to become healthier and lose weight.
One simple way to help achieve your New Year’s goal this year is by introducing a simple, but effective, weekly routine: Meatless Monday. By increasing the amount of plant-based foods we are eating, we also naturally increase the amount of fiber and water in our meals. Increased consumption of water and fiber at mealtime makes us fuller and helps us naturally decrease the number of calories we consume. Not only does fiber help us lose weight, but a high-fiber diet is also linked to the prevention of chronic disease. For the month of January, we made it easy and did all the meatless meal-planning for you! First up in the series: this sesame buddha bowl with a tasty tahini drizzle.
- 1 cup Brandless quinoa
- 1 box Brandless vegetable broth
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2-3 small sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon Brandless garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon Brandless chili powder
- ½ cup shelled edamame (soybeans)
- 1 cup spinach
- ¼-½ avocado, sliced
- Sprinkle of sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Wash and dice sweet potatoes into ½” by ½” pieces. Lightly spray (or toss) sweet potatoes with avocado oil. For additional seasoning and spice, dust with garlic salt and small amounts of chili powder or cayenne (optional).
- Place sweet potatoes in the oven to roast for 45 minutes, flipping halfway through. While potatoes are cooking, begin to prepare the quinoa.
- Thoroughly rinse 1 cup of quinoa with cool water (this helps remove the bitter outer coating) and place in a medium pot with 8 oz (1 box) vegetable broth and 1 cup water. Heat until boiling and then reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork when finished.
- While quinoa is cooking, prepare the tahini dressing by combining all ingredients and stirring until completely mixed. Set aside.
- Put edamame in a small saucepan with 1 cup water and bring to a boil, simmer for 4 minutes, and strain.
- Once the quinoa, sweet potatoes, and edamame are finished cooking, prepare your bowl. Add the following to your bowl: ● 1 cup spinach ● ¼ cup cooked quinoa (save the rest for later!) ● ½ cup cooked sweet potatoes ● ½ cup shelled edamame ● ¼ - ½ sliced avocado
- Drizzle bowl with 2 tbsp tahini dressing and top with sesame seeds. Enjoy!