Almond Milk is one of our favorite fridge staples. We use it in baking, in pasta sauce, in our morning coffee, it’s a flavor panacea for anything in need of a bit of richness and roundness. We even like drinking it straight, too. Almonds contain delicious, filling fats, and are a good source of protein (about 8g per serving), making a glass of almond milk a lovely afternoon pick- me-up. When you make it at home, you can keep the ingredient clean and simple, without emulsifiers and gums that can be found in grocery store almond milk. This simple drink is the perfect canvas to let your palette run wild, so we compiled our favorite flavor combinations for this cool, refreshing drink. But have fun with it and get creative!
Note: For the longest lasting nut milks, work with cold ingredients and refrigerate immediately.
Editor’s note: This recipe has been updated.
- 1½ cup Brandless Raw Almonds
- 4 cups cold filtered water, plus more for soaking
- Cheese cloth or a nut milk bag
- Place the almonds in a bowl and cover with about an inch of water. They will plump as they absorb water. Let stand, uncovered, in the fridge overnight or up to 2 days (don’t go longer than 48 hours, or the almonds will start to turn). The longer the almonds soak, the creamier the almond milk.
- Drain the almonds from their soaking water and rinse them thoroughly under cool running water.
- Put the almonds in a blender with the 4 cups of water, and blend at the highest speed for 2 minutes until the almonds are a very fine meal and the liquid is opaque.
- Line a strainer with cheese cloth, or use a nut milk bag, and place over a bowl. Pour the almond mixture into the strainer.
- Press all the almond milk from the almond meal. Gather the nut bag or cheese cloth around the almond meal and twist close. Squeeze and press with clean hands to extract as much almond milk as possible. If you want a thicker almond milk, you can add some of the almond meal back into the liquid.
- Refrigerate almond milk immediately. Store the almond milk in sealed containers in the fridge for up to five days. It will separate, so shake before drinking.
For each, add all the ingredients into the blender at the same time as the almonds for a delicious treat!
- 2 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 whole vanilla bean (split in half and scraped first)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons Brandless Organic Virgin Coconut Oil