Crab cakes are delicious, but when you don’t have fresh crab on hand, you can whip up these tuna cakes with Brandless tuna pouches! They make a light, easy weeknight dinner or a tasty appetizer. While tuna and crab cake recipes traditionally use bread crumbs, this recipe, courtesy of The Real Food Dietitians, calls for almond flour instead. (ICYMI: here’s how to make your own almond flour at home.) Bonus: This tuna is sustainably caught and MSC Certified, which makes it a better choice for the environment (learn more here).
2 (5 oz.) Wild Albacore Tuna in Water pouches
- 2 whole eggs
- ¼ cup Raw Almond flour
- ¼ cup finely diced onion
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoons sea salt
- ¼ teaspoons black pepper
- Avocado oil or Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, for frying
Garlic Mayonnaise Topping
- 1/2 cup Organic Mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Combine and mix together all tuna patty ingredients (except for the oil) in a bowl.
- Form into 8 small patties, squeezing out as much liquid as possible.
- In a large frying pan on medium high heat, add just enough coconut oil to cover the base of the pan. Once oil is hot, add the patties to the pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes on each side. Remove from pan.
- Garlic Mayo Combine the ingredients in a small food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- Serve on top of tuna cakes.