Two of my favorite things in this world: brownies and black beans (I bet you weren’t expecting that). Two things that are seemingly unrelated . . . but think again! Vegan, gluten-free brownies are an art. It takes the perfect combination of ingredients to make them stand up and not turn into a bubbling batter in the oven (unfortunately, I say this from a lot of experience).
Since brownies are so gooey and chewy, a lot of that goodness is typically lost when gluten and eggs are removed from the picture. Beans and a “flax egg” — an egg substitute made of flaxseeds and water — serve as the perfect binder to reinvent moist, chewy, and gooey brownies. As an added bonus, you get additional fiber from the black beans.
Order these goods for your next Brandless box and follow the steps below to make delicious brownies — sans gluten, eggs, and dairy.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Prepare your flax egg and let sit for 60 seconds to form a gel.
- Put all ingredients inside a high-speed blender and blend until smooth (about 1 minute). If the batter is too thick, add more water by the tablespoon.
- Grease an 8-inch square or 9-inch round pan.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, checking after 25.
- Brownies will be done when toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool before cutting.