What better way to start Valentine’s Day then with bright pink pancakes? These delicious pancakes, adapted from Brandless’ Gluten-Free Pancake and Waffle Mix features a surprise ingredient… BEETS! That’s right–by adding beets to the mix, not only do you get a beautiful pink pancake, but you are also able to omit oil in the recipe. No matter your taste for beets, with this recipe, you get all the benefits of the root vegetable without any of the flavor. Just rich, fluffy pancakes! Get cooking this Valentine’s Day and grab a pack of Brandless’ Gluten-Free Pancake Mix, Milled Flax Seeds, almond milk, and a beet!
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- The night before you intend to make pancakes, roast the beet. Cut off root and stem from beet and scrub/wash until clean. Wrap beet in foil and place in oven to roast for an hour. Sit a cooking sheet on the rack below to catch any drip from the roasting beet.
- After beet is roasted, set in refrigerator overnight to cool. In the morning, use a food processor or high-speed blender to pureé the beet. Spoon out 1/4 cup to use for the recipe and use the rest for another recipe, such as beet hummus.
- Prepare flax egg using 1 tablespoon Brandless Milled Flax Seeds and 1.5 tablespoons hot water. Mix together and let sit for 30-60 seconds until a gel forms.
- Add Brandless GF Pancake Mix to a medium mixing bowl. Then add flax egg, almond milk, and pureed beat and whisk until combined. Do not overmix, small lumps are okay! If it is too thick, add more almond milk; if it is too thin add 1/2 tbsp milled flax seeds and mix thoroughly and let sit for a minute or two to thicken.
- Preheat skillet or griddle to medium (~350 F) and lightly grease.
- Pour ~1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until bubbles form on top of pancakes.
- Flip and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Serve with Brandless Organic Maple Syrup and top with fresh fruit. Enjoy!